Welcome to the New Camwood website, we really hope you like it!
Over the past few weeks we have had much debate in our office about ‘the pins’. It seems everyone has a take on it and we have had various comments from Camwood employees (naming no names) such as ‘what are the balloons for’, ‘I don’t get the pins’.
So we thought it would be interesting to get some feedback. What do you think?
Camwood, the specialists in Application Logistics for large enterprises, today announced the launch of a new hosted application lifecycle management tool to help project and application teams manage their application portfolios online.
App Migration Manager™ solves the problem of tracking large numbers of applications at any one time throughout a migration project or the entire application management lifecycle. Aimed at project and application teams, App Migration Manager™ enables complete access for real time information on the status of a single application, groups of applications or the whole portfolio.
This information is invaluable when managing migrations, deployments or critical application upgrades where business continuity is paramount. Whether using App Migration Manager™ to control large volumes of applications during a migration or simply for the day to day changes to application details, history and current status are vitally important. App Migration Manager™ enables managers and their teams to maintain efficient working practices.
App Migration Manager™ is a secure hosted solution that links into common document management solutions.
To find out more please contact our sales team for a presentation on the benefits of Camwood App Migration Manager™
Camwood, the specialists in Application Logistics for large enterprises, announced today the launch of Camwood Survey™, a new solution for application estate audits.
Enterprises with thousands of applications installed run the risk of wasting a lot of money when they migrate to a new Operating System, by not factoring in whether all the applications are actually being used before they go ahead and migrate.
Camwood’s wealth of experience in helping large organisations with their application estates has led to the development of Camwood Survey,a powerful new cost-saving solution.
Camwood Survey is an IT Asset Lifecycle Management solution that provides detailed, comprehensive real-time usage information for the IT assets in your environment.
Survey accurately identifies unused and under-used hardware and software assets. This reduces IT spending by eliminating unnecessary maintenance costs, reallocating existing software licenses, reducing annual true-up costs, and cutting back on support needs.
Survey also aids in risk management, as it identifies areas of non-compliance with license agreements that can leave your company liable for huge unplanned software purchase costs and fines.
Survey’s asset intelligence provides a business view of the computer systems and software that are installed in your organization. The IT asset usage reports provide the insight organizations need to work proactively with the IT and purchasing departments to:
- Stop the over-buying of software licenses
- Remove the cost burden of maintaining and supporting under-utilized software and hardware
- Gain fair value from annual software license reviews and “true-up” negotiations
- Reallocate software instead of buying additional licenses
- Replace full versions of software titles with read-only versions where appropriate
- Achieve accurate compliance with vendor licensing and eliminate liability risk
- Accurately plan your IT budget for the next year and forecast future budget needs
- Plan the strategic migration of new operating systems, applications
This is only one part of the rationalisation story. We are so confident in the savings that Survey will bring, we will implement this solution for you free of charge and take a cut of the savings made.
Find out more
You always need a lot of humans in the mix when you’re talking about a major application migration. But there are things you can do to target your team’s efforts more effectively. You don’t have to flail around testing thousands of applications to destruction and cancelling all leave.
That’s where automated application compatibility testing comes in.
If you use a tool like AppTitude from App-DNA
, (we do, a lot) you can spot the apps that are going to cause you trouble before you get halfway through your migration.
AppTitude suggests fixes for you rather than doing a lot of so-called ‘auto-remediation’, allowing you to exercise your judgment over what’s the right thing for the circumstances (a small tweak to the OS may forego the need for 600 app fixes that some tools might auto-remediate).
This is why we like AppTitude:
- It saves time, because it minimizes the amount of testing you need to do (and laser-focuses the testing you do need)
- It’s super-accurate – with much more detail than manual testing
- It helps packagers do their job better – with clear reports, detailed drill-downs, remediation advice (even auto-generated MSI packages for non-MSI apps)
- It’s easy to use, with a straightforward traffic-light dashboard
If you’re a big enterprise you’d be nuts to try and do a major migration with only manual testing.
While small or medium-sized companies might (just) manage to cope, big enterprises will find they’ve bitten off way more than they can chew if they don’t involve some automated application compatability testing up front. There are just too many apps and too many interdependencies to try to go the manual route.
Big migration programs mean lots of Windows images. If you want to be able to quickly implement Windows 7 images, the Enterprise and Ultimate editions give you the facility to boot from a virtual image from the start-up boot loader.
This lets you have a standardised image for both physical and virtual machines. We use it to provide rapid rebuild of technical consultant and technical specialist PCs.
Key tools to use include BCDEdit and WIM2VHD. More info at this TechNet Page — a helpful FAQ
Don’t forget the Windows Automation Installation Kit
either . It includes:
- The Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM) – open Windows images, create answer files, and manage distribution shares…
- ImageX – capture, create, modify, and apply Windows images.
- Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) – A minimal OS environment used to deploy Windows.
- User State Migration Tool (USMT) – migrate user data from a previous Windows operating system to Windows 7